Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Food Pyramid


I have decided that our whole family needs a makeover when it comes to nutrition. I printed out a copy of the Food Pyramid and explained to the kids what it means. They are really picky so I had them go grocery shopping with me and pick out the fruits and veggies they like. Also, they are going to help with meals on occassion. Tonight they are helping by choosing an item from each food group to plan the meal. I am hoping this encourages them to choose more fruits and veggies with meals. Kia isn't too bad, but Spencer is my carb boy. A typical day for him is cereal for breakfast, bread or crackers for lunch and noodles for dinner. He won't eat all that is fixed with a meal. I know my kids go through phases like these, but I have actually started worrying about him. It's been about two weeks now that he hasn't had much meat or fruits and veggies. Last night after we got home from the store, I started cooking dinner and Spencer was sure to tell me he wanted to have the sugar snap peas he picked out at the store. And he ate them along with some mandarin oranges, but that was it. We still have a ways to go but I am hoping this goes over well for all of us.

2 comments:

jamieschip said...

That is awesome, Mandy! It's so much easier to do when the whole family is involved. Ben just saw the pyramid on your site and asked what it is. We had a good teaching moment. By the way, got your picture. RAWR! Now if you could only show a little more skin. ;)

Julie H. said...

Mandy, keep up the good work. My oldest is the same as Spencer as for the eating habits. She's a total carb monster! I worry so much about her (she's almost 13). She only likes more fruits than vegetables. But rarely eats the veggies. So stay firm and giving them choices definately helps. I cook what they want for dinner 2-3 times a week. Then they can't complain about what I make them the rest of the time. Good luck!